JUNE 2026 GROWING A FLOURISHING APOSTOLIC CHURCH


“It’s simply a letter about how we can draw closer to Christ, and there is no controversy in that,” Bishop Malesic said. “Let’s just pray 15 minutes a day; join a small group; invite your Catholic neighbors and friends together to have a cup of coffee and talk about ‘Why are you Catholic?’; ‘How can you become a disciple of Jesus?’ I think these are the basic things.”

-from a media interview of the bishop


"I invite every Catholic in the Diocese of Cleveland to read this pastoral letter in its entirety, as I have written it with each of you in mind. Make notes and underline your copy of the letter; Consider reading it more than just once. then, meet with some other Catholics who have read this letter and discuss it in a small group. Over the next year I would like this letter to be at the forefront of conversations around the diocese (page 2)."

MY SUMMARY OF THE LETTER

The Letter invites us to do five basic things: 1) read the letter, underlining key points, making notes, and then sharing our reflections with others, 2) spend at least fifteen minutes a day in personal prayer, 3) develop our spiritual support network, 4) share the story of our spiritual journey with others, and 5) articulate our specific missions in life to use our gifts to build the kingdom of God here on earth.  

A Church that Flourishes both Personally and Communally

The framework of these five basic practices will produce unity in what we do in the diocese, in our parishes, and in our lives. Since the Letter emphasizes personal initiative in each of the five practices, this framework will foster the richness and diversity of a flourishing Church, both personally and communally. It is very simple. We are engaging in the same basic practices while at the same time being true to ourselves.  

Each of us is responsible for reading the letter, interpreting it for our situation, and initiating conversations with others. The bishop is confident that we each can find a way to pray that is best for us. He also thinks we might do better by developing our own spiritual support network rather than just joining an existing group. Of course, the stories of our spiritual journeys will be unique. Likewise, our missions will be unique, tailored by our gifts, personal experiences and life situations.  Our practices should generate much to talk about. Somethings we share will be very similar, but others will be very different. In my experience in both spiritual and work support groups, diversity is the key to both personal and communal satisfaction. 

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE PASTORAL LETTER, I URGE YOU TO DO SO. Underline key items and make notes on them in preparation for conversation with others. I have done so here


I am very interested in conversations with those who are taking and have taken the time and effort to decide what the Pastoral Letter means in their lives The Pastoral Letter has provide me with a framework for understanding what I have been doing for the last five to ten years. I hope the Letter will be helpful in relating to others who understand the bishop's framework.