LENT WEEK 4 SUNDAY EVENING SONG

 

SONGS OF THE PEOPLE OF GOD

 

SUNDAY EVENING PRAYER 

     (SUNDAY VESPERS)     


LENT WEEK IV 

     PSALTER WEEK III   

  

FULL ROMAN RITE SERVICES

DIVINE OFFICE. ORG
Excellent model of small household size community praying the office
but with song only at beginning



SING THE HOURS
Excellent model of totally sung office
but mostly by one person




OUTLINE OF TODAY'S OFFICES ABOVE
Hymn "O Trinity of Blessed Light" (DO)
 Hymn: ""Audi Benigne Conditor," (SH)
 Psalm 110
 Psalm 112
 Canticle: 1 Peter 2v21-24
 Reading: 1 Corinthians 9v24-25
 Responsory: Our Lord is great, mighty is his power.\
Canticle of Mary (Magnificat)\
Intercessions: Remember your people, Lord.
The Lord’s Prayer "Pater Noster" & Concluding Prayers




WALKING AND SINGING WITH THE PEOPLE OF GOD
For health reasons, I walk forty to fifty minutes each morning and evening on a treadmill. The two above offices total about thirty-five minutes. Adding some of the additional options below brings the time to over forty-five minutes. The three options are interleaved by opening three tabs on the computer in front of the treadmill. With a little more dexterity, they could be interweaved on a cellphone or pad. The repetition of each psalm three time in three different formats provides a pleasing ritual experience. For additional ideas about using this website see the following link
HOW TO USE THIS WEB PAGE

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS


PSALM 110

The Lord has said to my lord: “Sit at my right hand

PSALM 109:1-5,7
Dixit Dóminus Dómino meo:*   «Sede a dextris meis,





PSALM 112

Blessed is the man who fears the Lord
  and loves his commands above all things.

Beátus vir, qui timet Dóminum,*
  in mandátis eius cupit nimis.


1 PETER 2

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, to follow in his path

Christus passus est pro vobis†  vobis relínquens exémplum,*  ut sequámini vestígia eius:


Extended  Reading (1 Corinthians 9:18-25) 

Douay Rheims public domain slightly  modernized

 18 What is my reward then? That preaching the gospel, I may deliver the gospel without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

 19 For whereas I was free as to all, I made myself the servant of all, that I might gain the more.

 20 And I became to the Jews, a Jew, that I might gain the Jews:

 21 To them that are under the law, as if I were under the law, (whereas myself was not under the law,) that I might gain them that were under the law. 

To them that were without the law, as if I were without the law, (whereas I was not without the law of God, but was in the law of Christ,) that I might gain them that were without the law.

 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might gain the weak. I became all things to all men, that I might save all.

 23 And I do all things for the gospel's sake: that I may be made partaker thereof.

 24 Know you not that they that run in the race, all run indeed, but one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain.

 25 And every one that strives for the mastery, refrains himself from all things: and they indeed that they may receive a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible one.

 26 I therefore so run, not as at an uncertainty: I so fight, not as one beating the air:

 27 But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.


Short Responsory
Hear us, O God, and have mercy, for we have sinned against you.
Listen, O Christ, to our humble prayers.

Responsorium breve
℣. Atténde, Dómine, et miserére,* Quia peccávimus tibi.
℟. .Exáudi, Christe, supplicántum preces.* 



Antiphon
‘
The man who lives by the truth comes out into the light, 
so that it may be plainly seen that what he does is done in God.
. 

Qui facit veritátem venit ad lucem, ut manifesténtur eius ópera, quia in Deo sunt facta

ANGLICAN CHORAL EVENING SONG

CHORAL-EVENSONG-BOOKLET-POST-COVID.pdf (canterbury-cathedral.org)

Evensong sung by the girl choristers and Lay Clerks
Responses, Wesley
Psalm 30
Wesley in E
Jim Clements, Ave Maria
Hymn 135: Take up thy cross, the Saviour said (Breslau)
Organ voluntary: Wesley, Choral Song



Antiphon
God has appointed him to judge everyone, living or dead.

Ipse est qui constitútus est a Deo iudex vivórum et mortuórum.


Antiphon
Happy is the man to whom the Lord takes mercy: he will never waver.

Iucúndus homo, qui miserétur in Dómino: non commovébitur in ætérnum.


Antiphon
God fulfilled what he had foretold in the words of all the prophets:
 that Christ would suffer.

Quæ prænuntiávit Deus per os ómnium prophetárum, pati Christum suum, sic implévit

.Antiphon

‘
The man who lives by the truth comes out into the light, 
so that it may be plainly seen that what he does is done in God.
. 

Qui facit veritátem venit ad lucem, ut manifesténtur eius ópera, quia in Deo sunt facta